Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Oracle SQL Developer 3.0 and MySQL

Recently I noticed I was getting frequent ‘Vendor code 1317’ errors
as I tried to browse table schemas in MySQL databases.

This error is described here:

and here:

These articles indicate that going back to earlier versions of the
MySQL JDBC driver will fix the error. However I tried this and
it didn’t seem to work.  I still got the error with
mysql-connector-java-5.0.8 and mysql-connector-java-5.0.4, as
well as the JDBC driver which is available through
Help -> Check for Updates.

What did finally work for me was to downgrade SQL
Developer from the latest version that I was using
(sqldeveloper- all the way back to

Legacy SQL Developer versions are available at the bottom
of the page at

Update (12/12/2012): These days I'm using Squirrel SQL as my general purpose SQL IDE for a lot of different databases.