Monday, November 9, 2009

Ubuntu 9.10

Just upgraded my laptop from Ubuntu 9.04 to 9.10. Here are some observations.
  • It came up with wireless working. I never had to plug in to ethernet.
  • My X display used to lock up if I left xscreensaver running for long periods. That seems to have cleared up.
  • In spite of MySQL being updated from 5.0 to 5.1, my MySQL databases survived untouched.
  • I was able to load my SlashEM saved game after the upgrade.
  • VMware Player initially didn't work but after I updated it from 2.5.2 to 3.0 it was fine.
  • Glxgears went from around 500 to around 1600 FPS. There's a noticeable performance improvement in some of the OpenGL screen savers in xscreensaver.
  • One disappointment, 'buoh' (application to retreive and display newpaper comic strips) is gone.
  • When I log in I get a pop-up saying that my hard drive is failing. There's a widget in the Gnome panel that says the drive has many bad sectors. When I click on it, it informs me that the drive has over 500,000 bad sectors. The disk seems to be working fine with no errors being reported in syslog. 'smartctl -H /dev/sda' says 'PASSED'.
  • Hibernate works. One time resuming from hibernate the display was so dim I could barely make it out, but I was able to correct with Fn-F10. Since then the display has come up at normal brightness.
  • I expected to have to reload libdvdcss since the upgrade disables medibuntu, but when I popped a DVD in the drive it started playing.

No comments:

Post a Comment